Monday, April 23, 2012

Run Toward Acceptance Speech


I was recently invited to speak at an autism awareness event hosted by Alpha Xi Delta on the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse's campus. The week had been really rough and honestly I wasn't looking forward to the speech. To make matters worse the morning of the 5K event was just plain good ole Wisconsin cold with a biting wind that can only come from being right on the river. Being a good public speaking instructor I had prepped a speech only to realize that between the microphone stand and the wind I really couldn't use my note cards. Hence the speech I delivered wasn't really the speech I wrote but in many ways probably better because I only spoke from my heart. All in all the speech was well received and I thought I would share it with you. Ignore the first 10 seconds because 1)I wasn't close enough to the microphone to be understandable and 2) I was just complaining about microphones and not saying anything useful. Also be prepared that in places Caden interjects his opinions about my speech; since he was sitting next to his daddy who was doing the taping, he occasionally wins the who can speak louder contest.




 The link to the speech: Jenn's Alpha Xi Delta Autism 5K Speech